About the Center for Care Innovations
The Center for Care Innovations (CCI) is strengthening the health and health care of underserved communities. CCI cultivates innovation within organizations impacting care and services for low-income populations. Through our programs our participants:
- Learn. We offer resources, tools, and coaching to build the skills organizations need to succeed.
- Innovate. We help organizations test new approaches, then spread the solutions that work.
- Collaborate. We connect organizations with a network of people committed to creating lasting change.
CCI is a project of the Tides Center. The Tides Center is a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco that works with individuals, groups, and funders to implement and accelerate positive social change in the nonprofit sector. As a project of Tides, CCI receives operational capacity, program design and grantmaking support as well as opportunities for shared learning and knowledge creation with Tides’ other projects and initiatives.
For more information, please visit www.careinnovations.org.
About the Job
CCI is looking for a passionate and driven Senior Manager of Finance and Operations to lead CCI’s employee engagement, internal operations, financial management, and program impact measurement system. This position offers a unique opportunity to be part of a collaborative team that is focused on achieving major improvements and innovations for underserved communities in areas such as trauma-informed care, substance use disorder treatment, social determinants of health, and population health.
This position works closely with the Executive Director, CCI’s fiscal agent (Tides Center), and the CCI team to improve and sustain CCI’s operations, talent management, accounting, financial planning, execution of strategic projects, grants management, and measurement and reporting of organizational effectiveness and impact. The Senior Manager plays a leadership role in building CCI’s internal processes and “speak up” culture by leading many of our internal improvement projects and developing ways to include the voice of our staff and partners. This role has management responsibility and will oversee multiple direct reports.
The Senior Manager is a critical thinker with excellent performance improvement, project management, and communications skills. They are effective at meeting deadlines and delegating and managing work. They can proactively develop measurement strategies to evaluate the progress of operational initiatives and programs. They are an excellent trainer and mentor and have strong management and communication skills.
The Senior Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time to complete key assignments on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operational leadership — Manages the operations of CCI including talent management and employee engagement, staffing resource management, office space and technology (hardware and software), Salesforce system maintenance and strategy implementation, and organizational and program effectiveness measurement. Leads internal processes to assure the quality of our work and engage staff in identifying and rapidly solving problems.
- Financial management — Manages the financial operations at CCI, including: overseeing accounts payable and receivable processes and contract management, supporting program budget development and management, guiding program teams on grant development and reporting, supporting Executive Director in annual budget development, and working closely with Executive Director in developing and optimizing financial management systems.
- Project Management — Leads deployment of CCI’s organizational improvement strategies in partnership with the Executive Director. The Senior Manager uses a combination of performance improvement and human-centered design methods to engage the CCI team to define strategic projects, test potential solutions, and implement and sustain results. Spearheads day-to-day activities including developing workplans, leading and executing projects, and delegating tasks when appropriate.
- Data Management and Analysis — Leads development, testing, implementation, and ongoing improvement of CCI’s organizational and program effectiveness strategy. Leads and manages CCI’s data system for learning and improvement. This includes strengthening our Salesforce infrastructure that incorporates a strong measurement and reporting strategy with a goal of strengthening staff engagement, creating a great place to work, building financial strength, and ensuring CCI programs have a major positive impact on health and health care in underserved communities. Supports CCI’s strategy development and deployment by conducting research and needs assessments to define opportunities and best solutions for CCI’s staff engagement, operational, financial, and evaluation/measurement goals. Provides advice and supports Directors with strategic planning and recommendations to strengthen CCI operations and employee engagement and experience.
- Collaboration, relationships, and people management — Creates a collaborative and productive culture among the CCI staff and our key partners leveraging technology, physical environment, and operational processes. Develops and manages CCI’s talent philosophy in collaboration CCI’s Directors and staff. Develops and maintains relationships with key external partners such as Tides Center, vendors, funders, external consultants, grantees, and other partners. Negotiates contracts and manages relationships with consultants and other external contractors. Trains and mentors direct reports and other CCI team members. Responsible for staff management including hiring, promoting and terminating direct reports.
- People Management — Manages at least two staff within the operations and finance team at CCI.
- Effective communication — Clearly communicates our internal improvement strategy and CCI’s organizational and program effectiveness results to internal and external audiences. Develops and continually improves CCI’s internal communications systems to support clarity of our goals, progress toward those goals, and staff collaboration to manage and improve operations and programs.
- Overnight travel necessary for this position (mostly within CA).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrates a positive, can-do attitude focused on identifying solutions to challenges within the organization and related to programs.
- Thrives when working on ambiguous and evolving projects. Has openness to trying new approaches to the work, iterating on those approaches quickly, and changing course when needed.
- Strong project management skills and demonstrated experience managing complex projects involving a variety of health care stakeholders.
- Strong experience in applying process improvement methods to strengthen operational processes.
- Strong experience in core organization and financial operations such as engaging employees in ensuring strong organizational performance; budget development and management; grants management and reporting; accounts receivable and payable processes; strategic measurement and evaluation; and, methods to collect, manage and report data to evaluate organization and program effectiveness.
- Extensive experience as Salesforce user and administrator.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- Strong analytic, and financial management skills.
- Experience working with diverse populations. Dimensions of diversity include but are not limited to: age, ethnicity, gender, physical abilities/qualities, race, sexual orientation, educational background, geographic location, income, marital status, military experience, parental status, religious beliefs, work experience, and job classification.
- Ability to adapt to the changing needs of the organization, which may require adjusting schedules to enable attending evening events and offsite meetings.
- Strong data analytics skills and understanding of using data for improvement
Education and Experience
- Education — Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience — Minimum of 6 years of experience in operations management, accounting, human resources, financial management, grants management, or evaluation and measurement. At least 2 of these years should be in a leadership role in operations or financial management.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Experience or training in human-centered design or performance improvement.
- Experience implementing software to optimize financial or operational processes.
- Greater than two years of experience as a Salesforce administrator.
- Certification as a Salesforce Administrator.
- Experience in a nonprofit operational or financial management leadership.
- Experience identifying outcomes and building systems and processes to collect, reflect on, and report these within and outside the organization
- Experience managing direct reports.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Employee must have the ability to attend meetings, sitting, listening, and computer work up to 8 hours per day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Center for Care Innovations, a project of Tides, is an equal opportunity employer and we strongly desire staff that mirror the communities we serve. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.